Over the years I have tried many different ways to remove nasty smells in my properties. The worst and hardest smells to remove are those that come from pets. These are some of the most difficult smells to fully remove from any property. In a lot of cases, our wholesale properties will have quite a few issues wrong with them including dirt, grim, and mold.
- One of the first things you need to do is remove all of the carpet and padding out throughout the smelly house. It will improve the quality of air quite quickly.
- You should change the furnace filter too. Normally, it has captured quite a few odors and will spread those throughout the home when the heat is turned on or in some cases air conditioning is turned on.
- If you place dryer sheets in the air vents and turn the heat on after you have changed the furnace filter, you will be circulating nice clean smelling air throughout the house and back into the furnace via the return.
- Next, you will make sure that you spread a generous amount of baking soda all throughout your smelly wholesale property. You will let the baking soda stay on the surfaces of the home for at least a few days before you will vacuum ing it up. It does a great job of absorbing odors, just like you would use in your refrigerator.
- You can use chemicals to help clean surfaces such as floors and countertops too, but these only do so much.
- There is a machine called an ozone machine that puts out ozone into the air throughout the home and cleans the air as it is doing it. Ozone sanitizes by breaking down odors, microorganisms and other pollutants at their source. The source of the odor has been permanently removed, instead of masking it like chemicals used to clean or deodorize. It is something that you need to make sure you place in a closed windowed home over night and then come back in the morning and turn the machine off and air out the home. The ozone in the home needs to be released form the home. You will find that the air quality of the home will be greatly improved by using one of these machines too.
- In addition to using the ozone machine, you can use a primer such as Kilz on the exposed sub-floor that was let behind your carpet or other flooring removal. It will help keep the odors from coming up through the flooring. If you have a concrete floor, you can use garage paint which is epoxy and paint the floor where the flooring has been removed. It will help keep he odors in the concrete from coming back up into the home and provide a surface to resist additional odors from seeping into the porous concrete.
These are just a few of the ways that you can eliminate the nasty smells that come with properties that have been sitting for a while and/or that have not been maintained. It is a great and fast way to clean a property up and make it appealing to most people. It is a very small cost investment to resolve a problem that deters most people.